I had worried about this particular job for ages. Because it was a new technique I’d not done and also because I shy away from precise detail and intricate jobs. I’m currently reading The Craftsman by Richard Sennett and he talks about how the craftsman sees “each imperfection as a failure” p46. This is how I feel so I end up leaving things until I have to do it or else! It was on the morning of seeing the lady whose story this belongs to that I started stitching. I prepped and moulded the leather the week before which actually, whilst listening to a podcast I just got on with. Time felt normal (not too fast) and I just got on with making. It made me really calm and I just went with what seemed right. I tried to do a pattern but then it worked out better just working with the silicone directly rather than trying to be too precise.
Then marking the corners I mitred them using a stitch that crossed over at the back. This is something I’ve never tried before but it worked well and gave the desired result. Although I don’t know how this will end up being finished as I have changed the initial design it seems to be working the way I want it to go.